Log in

No account? Create an account
Holy Fucking Shit! - Geoff's Journal [entries|archive|friends|userinfo]
Geoff Ellingwood

[ website | My Webpage ]
[ userinfo | livejournal userinfo ]
[ archive | journal archive ]

Holy Fucking Shit! [Mar. 20th, 2006|11:12 am]
Geoff Ellingwood
[Current Mood |sleepysleepy]
[Current Music |Scooter - Hello! (Good To Be Back) [Who's Got the Last Laugh Now?]]

I've had one hell of a week.  Since Wendesday of last week, I've had one E.R. trip, another E.R. trip via ambulance, and a third E.R. trip which resulted in a two-night hospital stay.  I finally got out this morning.  Short story; I'm okay, getting better, and will be back to 100% in a day or two.

If you want the long story,
Tuesday morning, I woke up early in the morning with some abdominal pain in the lower-right quadrant.  It wasn't debilitating, and I figured it was just gas cramps.  Nothing too serious; I took something for it and went in to work.

Wednesday morning, it happened again.  Same place, again waking me up at 5a.  Paula and I figured that this might be serious, so we decided to head into the E.R. to get me checked out.  Before doing that, I connected to work remotely to let the guys know where I was at, in case I didn't make it in that day.  The E.R. staff ran a CAT scan, and it wasn't appendicitis (our primary worry), and it wasn't kidney stones (despite there being trace amounts of blood in my urine).  They decided that it was just gasteroenteritis (G.I. infection), of which a fairly nasty strain has been going around town.  Standard orders - go home, take it easy, clear fluids.

I figured that I'd be okay fairly shortly, so I called in to work and let my boss know that I'd connect remotely that afternoon after I'd gotten some sleep (having been rather rudely woken up by my body).  I laid down and the next thing I knew, it was 6p.  Urk.  Same thing happened on Thursday; I barely even remember what happened that day.

Friday morning, I have a follow-up appointment with my normal doctor (they actually squeezed me in with one of the other ones, but I've worked with him before - so no big deal).  He confirms the G.I. bug and gives me some antibiotics to take.  I head home, pop one, and within five minutes, am sneezing uncontrollably.  The sneezing pops just about every blood vessel in my eyeballs, but that's barely noticible since my eyes are swelling shut.  My mucus membranes are running overtime (and are, in fact, blocking off my breathing), and as if that's not enough, my throat starts to constrict.  Classic anaphylactic shock - and something that could easily have killed me if my wife and I hadn't gotten on the phone to 911 within minutes.  They loaded me up with epinepherin and benadryl and got some oxygen started, and took me into the E.R. again (this is stop #2, for those who are counting).  I'm pretty wiped out; the benadryl they gave me is heavy-duty stuff.  It takes the swelling down somewhat (enough that I can soon breathe normally), but throws me for a loop.  They make sure I can breathe again, then let me go once I've stabilized.

Saturday morning, I wake up with abdominal pain again, but this time it's much worse - and starting to be accompanied by severe nausea.  I call Paula at work, who runs me to the E.R. yet again (third stop), and I'm starting to realize that my urinary tract is blocked.  The pain has been tracing right along the ureter (between the kidney and the bladder), and I haven't been able to urinate in a day or two (normally I'm clear and copius, just like a good little Boy Sprout).  By the time I'm in the E.R., the pain is simply unbearable; they end up giving me two (I think) doses of morphine simply to get me to a point where they can figure out what's going on.  They also pop on a catheter (not a pleasant experience), but thankfully, that relieves a lot of the pressure.  They decide to admit me at this point, to keep an eye on things - nothing except by I.V., just to make sure.  By Sunday afternoon, my primary G.P. has had a look; she moves me to clear fluids, then standard fluids that evening.  This morning, I try a "normal" meal, and everything's stayed down so far.  This would seem to qualify as "managable", so they released me this morning, and I'm home now recovering.

Basically, here's the deal.  The G.I. bug inflammed things so badly that one of two things happened.  Either the inflammation spread directly into the ureter and blocked it internally, or the pressure built up around it to nearly close it off.  Either way, not good.  Worse, I found out that I have a very bad reaction to a certain class of antibiotics (very bad as in, potentially fatal), so that's going to have to be something that I keep in mind at all times from now on.  But luckily, the bug seems to be clearing up, and I've got a good bit more energy.  I'm under doctor's orders to take it easy today and tomorrow (I'll probably remote in to work tomorrow to catch up and get a little work done), and then I should be back on my feet by Wednesday.

I also owe huge thanks to both ariachiba and earnbrand.  While Paula was at work last night, they stopped in for a few hours to keep me company; basically just playing card games, chatting, and the like.  I owe both of them a good meal (choose your destiny), and all of us owe Marc a few drubbings in Bang!

So there's my update.  I'll be around (although I may be napping a bit), so feel free to drop me a line.

[User Picture]From: xoraclex
2006-03-21 04:43 am (UTC)
That's so scary! I'm glad you are feeling some better. OMG!
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: volcgrrl
2006-03-21 04:31 pm (UTC)
Scared the hell out of me, that's for certain.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: neppyman
2006-03-21 10:37 pm (UTC)
And me.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: jennkitty
2006-03-21 06:36 am (UTC)
meh. you seem to get hit with every possible health problem. yeah for counteracting drug allergies.

i recently discovered i am allergic to not just one, but most, topical 'caines.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: neppyman
2006-03-21 10:36 pm (UTC)
Yeah, I've had some rotten luck of late, luckily none of it terrible. Enough good has been mixed in with things (my new job - yay!) that I'll deal. But almost dying is kinda scary.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: volcgrrl
2006-03-22 08:22 am (UTC)
*big hugs* And if you *had*, and I couldn't have stopped it, I *never* would have forgiven myself. I love you.
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: estcarpwanderer
2006-03-22 11:57 pm (UTC)
Sorry I'm behind the times here! I haven't read your journal for a few days. Glad to hear you're improving, at least as of this entry. Prayers for you and Paula.
(Reply) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: volcgrrl
2006-03-24 12:35 am (UTC)
*hugs* Thanks!
(Reply) (Parent) (Thread)
[User Picture]From: vraiment
2006-03-27 02:53 pm (UTC)
Holy crapola O_o;

Sorry it just overlapped with me leaving the state. I couldn't be helpful :|

Glad to know you're doing better now.
(Reply) (Thread)